February 22, 2014

Two Are Better Than One

Relationships in my life have been such a blessing to me. When I reflect back I can see how in different seasons of my life God has provided special friendships offering encouragement and instruction.

Often it's easy to think about what we would like to gain from a friendship with somebody else. Or rather, we think about how much work it is to maintain a friendship with so-and-so.

What can we gain? This might sound harsh at first... but really think on it. How often do we consider what we could give in a friendship with another.

God wants to use us in our relationships with other people, and He's gifted us in unique individual ways to bless others.

In a relationship that is focused on blessing another person:
  • we don't wait to be invited out
  • we are the first to initiate, and that's ok
  • we don't expect back
  • we bear the others' burdens alongside
  • we are excited for the other's blessings in life and rejoice along with
  • we seek the good for them
But what if you are on the receiving end of a relationship? Ladies please be humble and graciously receive the gift from the other with a heart of thanks. When she offers to pay for your coffee, let her without putting up a fuss. Say "Thank-You." Affirm to her, the blessing she is to you as your friend.

Let others help and give as they are led by God: They are trying to obey God too, so give them that freedom and let them.

I am convinced that we truly can't know the extent of our influence in somebody's life. (This could be a frightening thought also) We may never be privileged to find out how we blessed another person. That is part of the great faith-walk. As we step out and obey, serving women around us, as God leads us to, we may only see one tiny corner of the huge painting He is crafting. And that's ok. There are literally countless things in this life we won't fully know. It's part of the beauty and mystery of walking with Him.

3 comments:

  1. I know for me I love being a blessing, but it is harder to accept it. I think God sometimes puts me in helpless situations where I have no choice but to learn that humility and graciousness in receiving. Thanks for helping me today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by. It was lovely to finally meet you in person, and I really pray your family's transition to life on the island is unforgettable (in a good- iron-sharpens-iron, --completely amazing, --so glad God is taking you on this journey) way! :) I'm looking forward to getting to know your family better.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete