October 24, 2012

Releasing the Lie

Are you trying to be accepted by being good? Are you actually required to have it all together? Are you trying to live up to impossible expectations?

Emily P. Freeman, in her book Grace for the Good Girl talks about releasing the lies you might be believing. 
"You are not accepted because you are good. You are free to be good because you are accepted.
You are not responsible to have it all together. You are free to respond to the One who holds all things in his hands.
You do not have to live up to impossible expectations. You are free to wait expectantly on Jesus, the One who is both author and perfecter of your faith."

I know in my head these words are true, but sometimes in my heart I forget, become distracted, and go back into the mode of trying to work for stuff. It's how we're programmed, it's how the world goes around. Work is required to obtain basically everything here on earth. But God is outside of this world.

He offers you and me a free gift, by His grace. He has saved me, not based on who I am, or what I do.
He saved me, His creation, whom He loves! I don't have to work to gain His favor. In fact, if I try and work to gain salvation or favor with God, I'm saying my actions (what I'm trying to do) is more valuable than what Christ did on the cross! I am devaluing Christ's death for me. Does that sound like pride?

God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. - 1 Peter 5:5b God has accomplished everything already. We can stop believing the lie that we have to do something to gain favor with God. We can release the thoughts that we have to have it all together---have our houses perfectly clean, have the perfect homeschool room, never feel discouraged, never feel hurt or lonely.

God knows our weaknesses and promises to be our strength! Affliction and difficulties are opportunities for God to display His power again and again by giving more and more grace to His saints, His children, you and me.

1 comment:

  1. "You are not accepted because you are good. You are free to be good because you are accepted."

    that is so good!!!!

    encouraged by your post as usual!!!

    <3

    ReplyDelete