December 30, 2013

Our Chief End

In two separate places in the same day I received the same message. In fact, the very quote! This has happened multiple times to me. Sometimes within a week I will encounter the same verse or passage of scripture--once in my quiet time and then again in a sermon or at church, or perhaps in another book I'm reading.

When this happens, I usually take it as a subtle hint from God that He's trying to nudge my heart. He's trying to make clear a message that's usually obvious... a lesson I've probably been through before, but one I need to relearn, or re-meditate on. Our minds are finite, the Lord knows this. So He graciously reminds His forgetful sheep.

This particular occasion He reminded me of His will for all of us.

What is the chief end of man? Or in other words, ultimately, what is our purpose, on earth and for eternity?

Man's chief end is to glorify God.

I know, it sounds kind of vague. But it helps focus our decisions, it helps us hone in on what's really important in our lives.

What does it mean to glorify God? We hear this word glorify a lot in the church, among people who speak great "christianese". But what does it really mean?

To glorify means that we reveal or make something or someone clearer by our actions. We represent who God is through our lives. Of course, we can only do this best when we know who God is!

John Piper writes and says often, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him."

.....When I am most satisfied in Him. Not in my marriage, not in my children, my career, my possessions or any other person/thing. But in Him alone. "Comparison is the thief of Joy" says Theodore Roosevelt. And how wise is that? When I am wrapped up in God's forgiveness, His faithfulness, and His love I am joyful! And this glorifies God as His spirit manifests godly action in my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment