January 2, 2013

Deo Volente, 2013

DV represents an Italian phrase, deo volente, which when translated to English means God willing.

In some dutch cultures, this abbreviation is used on things like invitations, and plans... any time you might write out a plan to do something in a letter, you would finish with writing "DV". As a Christian, we recognize that nobody except God knows what will actually happen with the plans we make. We don't even know if we will be here tomorrow to do what we planned to do. Having the mindset that God is ultimately in control of the future could help us release our expectations, of people, of plans, of whatever. When something around me changes, or happens unexpectedly and I find myself frustrated or disappointed, really, what were my expectations? Ultimately I am not in complete control of my circumstances. Why do I live expecting to be in control of how plans work out? You may think I'm stating the obvious, but I really do find myself almost wallowing in discontent and aggravation when my husband's work schedule changes, when somebody in the house is sick, when a recipe doesn't turn out as I'd hoped, when I can't find what I expected to find in a store, when the traffic is horrendous and I can't get out of it.... surely you have these kinds of things?



This year, as a family, we are anticipating large plans. Large plans, like visiting Canada. But inevitably there are also little, day to day things that we plan for, and I would like to think I can live with the words deo volente stuck in my mind. Really, truly, believing them. Living with the peace and knowledge that ultimately God is in control and works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28). Resting in the knowledge that everything that happens, every hic-cup or change of plans, is part of God's bigger plan to bring us closer to Him.

Until next time, DV  :) 

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. Indeed, it is all by His amazing grace! God bless you & your family! :)

    ReplyDelete