December 31, 2012

Resolve Grace

The beginning of a new year, for many, marks the time to resolve to do something not done before, maybe to better oneself somehow, to create good habits, and perhaps to quit bad ones.

As I was mulling over a list of things in my own mind... areas needing improvement, and things I would like to stop, a simple little phrase kept popping into my mind "Resolve to be more gracefull."

What does that look like, specifically? How do I be more gracefull?

Honestly, I think resolving to drink more water daily, or to exercise for 30 minutes each weekday, or to read a new book every 6 weeks would be easier! Those things are more cut and dry. I can measure success easier. How do I measure a resolution of grace?

Over the last several months of focusing on the abundant grace given to me, and the lack of grace flowing out of my own heart, this resolution feels somewhat gray, unclear, a little scary, full of unknowns, a little unreachable, maybe even impossible? Humanly speaking, yes, it is just a tad terrifying!

I ask a few questions as I begin this scary resolution: "Will I be taken advantage of?"  "Does extending grace mean I have to give-in every time?"  "What if I never get to do what I want to do?"  "Will I be happy?"  "What if I just can't do it?"

There's a lot of "I's" in those questions. Considering Christ commands us to take up our cross and follow Him, it should concern us when we are asking so many questions related to ourselves.

Consider how the flowers grow; they do not work or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory was clothed like one of these! And if this is how God clothes the wild grass, which is here today and tomorrow is tossed into the fire to heat the oven, how much more will he clothe you, you people of little faith! So do not be overly concerned about what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not worry about such things. (Luke 12:27-29 NET Bible)

These questions one may ask in reference to self, may be rooted in fear, or better said---lack of faith. God is much larger than anything we could ever worry about. (I'm talking to myself as much as anyone else as I write here.)

So, the bottom line.... are we willing to step out in faith and resolve grace?



2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful resolution--to be full of grace. Yes, I think it would be a thing hard to quantify, but the heart knows, doesn't it? So grateful for your voice and for your sharing in the Playdates with God community in 2012! Many blessings to you in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the opportunity you give us each week to link up. It's been a joy.

    ReplyDelete