On My Side Table

I found this book recommendation on Lamp + Light, a method/curriculum/lifestyle for homeschooling that I have become interested in over this school break. (Perhaps more on that in a different blog post) One of the things incorporated into the rhythm of the kids' school, is "mom school." Basically, a few online book clubs. The first one on the list is Triggers, a book designed to be used like a daily devotional for 31 days. The cover speaks for itself, I'd say. How do we go from quiet-spoken moms, who gaze into our newborn's eyes in awe and wonder, to exhasperated and overwhelmed moms, frequently acting like 2-year olds ourselves as we throw fits or lose control in response to our children's immature or bad behavior. After reading Uprooting Anger I'm happy to be in this book, listening to possible biblical strategies that may help me trade those harsh and loud words, for more soft-spoken and gentle answers.  

Where the Red Fern Grows is possibly the best audible I've listened to on record. The narrator is amazing, and the story is captivating. I'm drawn to this time-period, 1930s, difficult as it was for many families. There's just something about hearing a story about a determined boy and his dogs, chopping down a tree with only an ax, training his hunting dogs, and taking them camping in the woods alone. These adventures he takes--Adventures requiring will-power, courage, and loyalty--are truly inspiring. Am I the only one who wants to throw video games out the window (ok... maybe just seriously minimize them) and send brothers outside to play all day long after hearing stories like this?

Even though my boys aren't living on a farm at the edge of a forest whilst living for hunting, they are living a somewhat isolated life, similar to Billy's, and sometimes this leaves me wondering if they're missing out somehow. Listening to these stories assures me that a boy doesn't need loads of playdates and organized clubs, sports, and toys. Instead, he needs plenty of unstructured time to create adventures for himself, and pursue hobbies of interest, and lots opportunities to work hard alongside a role model or two of solid integrity and honest strength.

In The Garden

This Walking Iris is in bloom at the moment. Tiny flowers, suspended on long bright green stems. If you aren't looking for them, you may miss out.


July took us through a chilly stretch, for sure! But this week something changed, and we're actually seeing daytime highs of 25 degrees. This is a true gift at this time of year! I'll just say, we're lovin' it. :)


Comments