It's been difficult as of late to think of things to write about. I have never wanted this space to be a place where hurts and problems and challenges are catalogued. For me, over the past year and a half, the exersise of reviewing my week and reflecting on the activities we've done as a family has been a wonderful reminder of how blessed we are. Life has thrown us a few unexpected curve-balls recently. And part of the challenge of how we're all feeling, I think, is that in some ways it's been a long season of little things building up over time. If you were to ask me, what's the real issue. I'd have to say there really isn't anything "big" going on. It's the accumulation of circumstances gone awry, changing plans, people... and it's been long. Rest has to happen somehow. But how do you rest when you can't really stop juggling the balls? For us, right now, rest doesn't mean stopping. That would be disobedient in some respects. But I am being reminded about where rest can be found. It's not always found on holidays, outside the four walls of our house. It's not always found when the dust settles after the activity and work ceases. And yes, I'm not arguing that times of slowing down the schedule and taking time to breathe is needed and required.... but slowing down isn't always possible.

So how do we rest when it's not?

1. Take stock of the blessings

Because my feelings can be so untrustworthy, I practically have to write down the ways we are blessed when the busyness of life starts to crowd in. I was reminded in my devotions this week that this includes thanking God for things He has spared us from! How many times have I driven to the grocery store and completely taken for granted that I have a vehicle that works every time I turn the key? It's so easy to let the curve-balls and other unexpected things requiring our attention crowd out how blessed we truly are!

2. Get back to Nature

Sometimes mowing the lawn is good for the soul. Lingering in the garden a little longer... enjoying a park.

3. Watch some extra tv. Oldies are the best.

I'm not embarrassed to admit that tv watching is kind of a hobby of mine. If hobby is defined as something I do to relax. Flicking on some 90's tv shows, or even 60's, is just fun sometimes.

Speaking of getting back to nature.....  :)

In My Garden


With the change of the seasons, comes different flowers and fruits. The orange and yellow flowers edging our yard right now remind me of creamsicles. ((Left) And I love the little papaya flowers hanging on this little tree. (Right)


  

On My Side Table

 I needed to start this book. It's been on my shelf since before Christmas as part of the recommended reads by IBCD. And a couple of weekends ago several things were weighing me down. I felt a sense of defeat, purposelessness, even demotivated... and completely one hundred percent unqualified to try and encourage anybody in the Word. A gray cloud was hanging over me. I opened this book and the very first chapter spoke straight into what I was feeling: sin is man's condition, and people who need help can help others. I don't have to try and reach perfection or have every possible experience in life before I can encourage others. If I'm waiting for that day, it's not going to happen. I'm going to go through this one slowly and thoughtfully.




 

Comments

Popular Posts