Temptation - Finding Contentment - Living in the Battle
It's a funny thing, keeping a journal, or making a summary of the past week. The thing that strikes me the most is that life continues to be an up and down roller coaster ride of fantastic days, hard days, and just average ones. And here, in this small space online, I'm trying to capture the fact that life isn't all flowers and sunshine, nor is it gloom and disappointment, each and every day.
Temptation is real to me. The sins of grumbling and complaining are still in my heart - spilling over onto my lips. But with this temptation of discontentment, to seek after "happiness" in the sense of personal comfort or selfish pleasure, is fought back with true promises.
In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:12b-13I'm not going to say I've actually mastered all of this. By far, to be sure. This is a real struggle: finding contentment in every and any situation.
Temptation is real to me. The sins of grumbling and complaining are still in my heart - spilling over onto my lips. But with this temptation of discontentment, to seek after "happiness" in the sense of personal comfort or selfish pleasure, is fought back with true promises.
I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:7
He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. Col. 1:13-14
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. John 16:33A few weeks ago I read an article on www.desiringgod.org, explaining how all temptations are simply false promises. We may believe them for a moment, or perhaps years, or maybe even a lifetime. God has made provision for these, with His Word. True promises that we can take a stand against these empty promises.
Put on the full armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. Eph. 6:11We have not been left to fight our battles alone. There is a battle plan. We have effective weapons. We can fight these false promises with the True Word of God. The same way Jesus fought against Satan in the wilderness - he countered every empty promise from the devil with the Word of God. I guess the question I ask myself is, is this my default response to temptation raging within me? I don't need the devil hiding in every corner promising me things. My own sinful heart is an expert deceiver itself.
The heart is deceitful above all things. Jer. 17:9The very fact that God has made provision for me, a sinner---hopeless left to my own faulty resources to save myself, or to find true happiness, is grace. Is love.
God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. 1Cor. 10:3b
On My Side Table

Comments
Post a Comment