Knights in Training, and Not Being a Helicopter-Parent
Life
This past weekend my boys were invited to a birthday party. And it's because I wasn't there, that I think my one boy had the chance to learn his limits. It was sad for him, to be sure, and I was sad for the mom of the birthday boy. But I realize, he probably wouldn't have learned this lesson if I had been there with him. I wouldn't have let him. Which reminded me of something profound. I can't and shouldn't be next to my kids 24/7 making sure everything is okay. As a homeschooling mom, I'm easily tempted to want to know everything that's going on with my kids 100% of the time. But how stifling for them is that? Who wants complete supervision, and direction in everything? Where's the discovery? Where's the mess-ups? Where's the problem-solving?
Had I been at the party, I would have tried to control how much sweets my boys ingested, to make sure they wouldn't come home with achy bellies. Well I wasn't there. And not only did one end up with a bad stomach-ache, he also up-chucked outside while trying to make it to a toilet. Poor boy. He won't be forgetting that lesson for awhile.
In other news, what we expected to happen while we are in Madagascar this time, did. My family lost a dear family member. My first grandparent to go and be with the Lord. I'm so thankful we had the chance to say goodbye to her during our summer in Canada this year. We were pretty certain this was it--the time was coming soon. I have been bringing to life good memories of her with my children: giant chocolate chip cookies for birthdays, and welsh cakes at potlucks brought by nana.
In other news, what we expected to happen while we are in Madagascar this time, did. My family lost a dear family member. My first grandparent to go and be with the Lord. I'm so thankful we had the chance to say goodbye to her during our summer in Canada this year. We were pretty certain this was it--the time was coming soon. I have been bringing to life good memories of her with my children: giant chocolate chip cookies for birthdays, and welsh cakes at potlucks brought by nana.
On My Side Table
I'm so excited about this book. I have found a resource that,1-tells me my boys are like her boys: rough and tumble and can't stop moving,
2-helps me, as a woman, see and appreciate how God has created my boys different from me, and finally
3-trains ME to raise them by God's strength, in the ways of knighthood. Helping them recognize their need for adventure, big muscles, and conquering means they can grow in character qualities like bravery, selflessness, honesty, honour, and more.


Comments
Post a Comment