January 10, 2014

Where Does God Live?

This was a question my 5 year old son asked me the other day...

I took a minute to think, and then said simply, "Everywhere." This of course jump-started a string of questions about how that's possible, and how big is His ear, and how big God's body is... anyways.

After thinking about my answer "Everywhere," I thought how often I don't live as though I believe this foundational truth about our mighty God. Once my day begins with the children and breakfast and school and work and play, how often have I left God in my quiet time that morning?

How easy is it for us to relegate Jesus's influence over us to one spot in our house under specific circumstances and only for a certain period of time each day! - Glimpses of Grace: Gloria Furman

God is with us everywhere we go, all of the time. That's pretty remarkable when I stop and think about it. And this truth flows over into other parts of our lives. When we talk about not having time each day for quiet solitude with Jesus, guess what? We don't have to wait for it. While having moments where we can hear our thoughts, and read His Word without being distracted by a million other things is important---if we are worshiping the quiet, or the special chair, or our candle we light to get us into a worshipful mode, we've merely created an idol for ourselves. I'm not saying that lighting a candle while reading the Word, or having tea or coffee, or complete solitude is wrong. But I am saying that we don't have to wait for these circumstances, or "ques" even, to commune with our Father. He lives everywhere, and wants to fellowship with us all day long.



Missional Women

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. This post was beautifully written. One of my goals for 2014 is to pray without ceasing. God is with us always. He doesn't leave our presence. When we feel as if God is distant, it is because we are. He wants to be in our every moment, but we exclude Him. It is not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need constant reminding, (at least I do), that God is always with us. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete