January 16, 2013

God is Our Witness

In reading Romans, Verse 9 in Chapter 1 really stuck out to me:

God, whom I serve with my whole heart in preaching the gospel of His Son, is my witness...

Personally, I think living in bondage to what other people think of us is a major issue that women in general deal with on a daily basis. And this Scripture, helped remind me again, that God is my witness, and really, the only witness that ultimately matters. God witnesses every act of faithful obedience, He hears every cry of my heart, He knows every sorrow and joy in life: even when nobody else does.

Often times, thinking that God knows everything about me, has had a negative spin with me. The verse in Hebrews: Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account. (Heb. 4:13 NIV). That's enough to make me squirm in my seat. 

However on the flip-side, how many times have you been mis-understood, mis-judged, assumed the worst of, or perhaps falsely accused? Perhaps you can take some comfort knowing that God is your witness? He sees the truth, when nobody else does? Interestingly, the word that is translated comforter, or helper, or advocate from the original Greek in John 14:16 (Then I will ask the Father and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever--" NET) is the word paraklÄ“tos and basically means: summoned, called to one's side, especially--called to one's aid. One who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate. One who pleads another's cause, an intercessor. In the case of Christ, in his exaltation at God's right hand, pleading with God for the pardon of our sins. In the widest sense, this word means a helper, aider, assistant, and is used to describe the Holy Spirit destined to take the place of Christ on earth. We find the same Greek word translated in 1 John 2:1--My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense--Jesus Christ, the righteous one.

Ultimately, God is the one who sees every situation from every possible angle--unlike us, He isn't even trapped in a moment of time, limiting His perfect perspective. 

One Word keeps popping into my head as I walk through the scriptures containing this word: paraklÄ“tos .... and that is, grace.

We don't have to be in bondage to other's thoughts or opinions. We don't need validation from mankind. We have an advocate, a helper, a judge, a pleader who is perfect in every way, knows all about all, and loves us more than we could ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment