November 14, 2012

We Are A Vapor, You Are Eternal

Instead, you should say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that."
James 4:15

When the plans we make need to be changed because of circumstances, it's easy to feel some major disappointment. I will confess that most of my disappointment is due to my own unmet expectations or thwarted plans. So is plan-making wrong? Shall I not make plans for the day, month or year? Are we just supposed to get up in the morning and wait around for life to happen? After-all, a vacation will never be taken, guests will not likely come over, and other essential aspects of life may never come to fruition if one ceases to make plans!

Perhaps these are the wrong questions to ask. Rather than asking questions about the what shall we plan, perhaps I should be asking is whom will I make the plans according to? Who am I ultimately trusting with the plans I make? Where is my faith placed? Putting all of my faith in my plans is wrong. Or, putting all my faith in another human (my husband) to make the plans is wrong. Chances are, elements of the plan will change, and being devastated over things out of our control is just plain immaturity... yet super easy to find ourselves in.

What is your life like? For you are a puff of smoke that appears for a short time and then vanishes." James 4:14 NET 

Imagine how differently we might live if we saw our life as a puff of smoke? Suddenly this plan or expectation we had is even less than a puff of smoke! This trial is mere minutes in the lens of eternity. This hardship God has us in is less than a few breaths.

More next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment