November 16, 2012

I Would Be Different If My Circumstances Were Different

Making plans..... or what I often find myself thinking "I would be different if my circumstances were different." Lie? Yes.

If the Lord wills, we will live... Every new day is willed by God. Every circumstance, even the tough ones have been pre-ordained by God. Wow! The fact that I am living this day right now, typing this is an act of God's grace. The air I breath is provided only by God. The fact that my heart is pumping blood around my body keeping me alive, is only by God. If that isn't grace in action, I don't what else could be! He wants me living this day for Him. No matter what the plans may be. No matter which of my expectations are not met... God has a bigger plan than I could conjure up.

You don't even know what tomorrow will bring... James 4:14

But God does. God is the one with the real plan.

Do you struggle with discontentment? I know I do. Or the "If only..." statements.

If only I had nicer clothes...
If only I had a gym membership...
If only I had one special friend...
If only I could get a break...
If only I had a nicer garden, or a garden at all...
If only we didn't have to move...
If only we lived closer to my parents...
If only we had a bigger house (more closets, more storage)...
If only we had more money...
If only my husband didn't have to work so many hours...
If only I were married...
If only I weren't married...
If only I were married to someone different...
If only I had children...
If only I didn't have so many children...
If only I hadn't lost that child...
If only my husband would communicate...
If only my husband were a spiritual leader...

The list is endless. But consider for a moment the source of your discontentment. Whatever unfulfilled longing, desire for more of ....whatever, you fill in the blank. The desire to have a particular hardship come to an end... Whatever the source of your discontentment may be, know that our God is greater, our God is stronger. His plans are higher than anything we could imagine. And He has us here for this time for a purpose. He doesn't waste anything. And if we think for a moment that what we're doing is wasteful, or has no value, or that we'd be different if our circumstances were to change, we're basically calling His plans for us a waste! (This is of course, assuming you're in a right relationship with the Lord right now.)

I would also like to share a wonderful post written by Paula over at A Hopeful Future. She has been going through a series called "Imperfections of Motherhood" and has written frankly about discontentment. I encourage you head on over.


No comments:

Post a Comment