November 7, 2012

Grace When Life Doesn't Make Sense .... To Us.


I am so thankful God sees the whole picture:

A legend says that Moses once sat near a well in meditation. A wayfarer stopped to drink from the well and when he did so his purse fell from his girdle into the sand. The man departed. Shortly afterwards another man passed near the well, saw the purse and picked it up. Later a third man stopped to assuage his thirst and went to sleep in the shadow of the well. Meanwhile, the first man had discovered that his purse was missing and assuming that he must have lost it at the well, returned, awoke the sleeper (who of course knew nothing) and demanded his money back. An argument followed, and irate, the first man slew the latter. Where upon Moses said to God, "You see, therefore men do not believe you. There is too much evil and injustice in the world. Why should the first man have lost his purse and then become a murderer? Why should the second have gotten a purse full of gold without having worked for it? The third was completely innocent. Why was he slain?" God answered, "The first man was a thief's son. The purse contained money stolen by his father from the father of the second man, who finding the purse only found what was due him. The third man was a murderer whose crime had never been revealed and who received from the first the punishment he deserved. In the future believe that there is sense and righteousness in what transpires even when you do not understand." -- a legend by Richard Wurmbrand

God has promised to us over and over to do just and to be faithful to us. He has a plan, and we must have faith during situations that seem an inconvenience to us, or downright unjust. The key to patience is faith in the future grace of God's "glorious might" to transform all our interruptions to rewards.

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him. -- 2 Chron. 16.9

Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. -- Ps. 23.6

For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. -- Ps. 84.11

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Karina! I don't have a lot of time to read blogs but occasionally, I allow myself the leisure of doing so. Today, I am taking a day off just as you describe...Time to be with my daughter who has a day off school. Time for a warm bath, time to read a book, time to read your blog, time to just be... I so relate to your tendancy to want everything to be just right, all completed, in a word: perfect before moving on to something else. It's partly a function of my personality and largely a function of how I learned to cope as a kid in my family of origin. It's also not always a healthy way to live life. It's the "Martha" way instead of the "Mary" way. I am thankful to say that over the years, I have learned to allow myself time off just as you are doing. I encourage us both to keep on with this and not feel guilty about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Somehow (unintentionally) I managed to publish my above comment on the wrong entry, but I guess that's obvious!

      Delete
    2. Hi Esther, Thank you for reading. I hope your intentional time of rest was a blessing for both you and your daughter. :)

      Delete