September 24, 2012

The Fruit of the Spirit - A Checklist?


Last week I wrote about checklists - and here it is again in a different context. The context of our spiritual life.

Have you ever considered the fruits of the Spirit as recorded in Galatians 5 a sort of checklist or growth-chart of how you're doing in your spiritual walk with Christ? Yikes, I will admit that I sure have. (Wow, there's that Type A Personality I wrote about last week creeping in again.) In fact, once upon a time, I considered focusing on one 'fruit' each month to try and improve on it as a good idea (for myself and the children). It would appear I missed the point of the verse completely:


"The fruit of the Spirit"

Meaning, this is not the fruit of me, working and striving to be more loving, more joyful, peaceful, etc. No, this the work of God's Holy Spirit in me. These are His fruits in the believer's life. In fact, interestingly yet not surprising, the greek word for goodness is "agathosyne" which means: inherently good. And as God's adopted children, reborn, we inherit Jesus' righteousness.

We cannot manufacture our own goodness.

Perhaps we should look at this verse as a list of promised gifts we have through the Holy Spirit living in us. We are free to depend upon God's grace and His power to will and to act through us.

2 comments:

  1. One fruit a month? This makes me smile. This is so something that I would do. :) You are a gift. Thank you for the ways you share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More of Him, less of me! :) Thank you Laura for visiting.

    ReplyDelete