August 10, 2012

Fresh Flour Tortillas


These tortillas definitely take some time out of your day, but they are really yummy. Consider spending an afternoon with friends making them together and tucking some away in the freezer for later. Although best eaten when fresh, I have frozen them and then warmed them up in the microwave.

Flour Tortillas (makes 12-15 large or 35 small)

1 KG All-Purpose Flour (approximately 5 cups)
1 & 1/2 Cups Butter, very soft
1/2 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1& 1/2 Tablespoons Salt
1 & 1/2 Cups warm Water

Mix dry ingredients, then make a hole in the center and add melted butter and water. Knead on a flat surface until it comes together as a soft dough. Divide into approximately 35 balls for small 5 or 6 inch tortillas, or 12 to 15 large balls for 8 to 10 inch tortillas.

Let rest, covered, for 30 minutes.

Roll out to the desired diameter, very thin, as thin as you can! **Tip, roll the ball under a piece of parchment paper so your rolling pin never sticks to the round. I like to cut mine into circles, tracing with a paring knife around a plate.

Cook for 1 minute (on non-greased skillet) and flip and cook for another 30 seconds. Don't over cook, because they will be too crispy and difficult to fold. If you just lightly brown them, they will remain pliable and soft. Experiment with your cooking times. Like pancakes, the first 1 or 2 are the "test" ones.


Linking up today with YourThrivingFamily.com

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE homemade tortillas. :) My mom makes them, and when I was little, chicken fajitas were the dinner I always requested for my birthday. (Now I make it for myself!) A small batch of tortillas for my husband and me doesn't take long to make, and oh it is SO worth it.

    I've never made them with butter and baking powder before, though--just flour, salt, shortening and water. But maybe I'll give this recipe a try! :)

    Found you via Your Thriving Family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by Jaimie. I make them with butter or oil. I prefer the butter though (for taste and my family's health). The baking powder makes them slightly puffy-er, and only slightly, so if you didn't use it, I'm not sure if you would notice too much. Happy Baking :)
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete